Re: Digital Oscilloscopes

How many tracks should be averaged to reduce
the noise level to 1% of what is in a single trace?

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

One of the earlier "averagers" you describe is Nuclear Data's
Enhancetron. In the 60's UCSC (advanced lab.) used one to "enhance" the
signal from ruby fluorescence. The enhancetron came with a 256 channel
MCA and the display for both [single and average traces?].

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

The signal-to-noise ratio was not very high on my emf displays.
But I was able to improve it by switching from the common
SAMPLE mode of operation to the AVERAGING mode of
operation. The idea was to produce a single picture from many
consecutive records, such as 10 or 100. Each consecutive
display (refreshment on the screen) is the average from the
already examined records. The noise is random and it decreases
when records are averaged. The signal, on the other hand, is not
random and it sticks out after averaging. A spike totally immersed
in noise would not be seen in a trace of a single record but it
could thus be recovered by averaging. I was very impressed.