MODELING Digest - 23 May 2002 to 24 May 2002 (#2002-96) (fwd)

Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 09:03:47 -0700
From: Jane Jackson <jane.jackson@ASU.EDU>
Subject: ASU summer courses for teachers: $1250 stipend, FREE housing!

Modelers,
Consider taking course(s) at ASU in July. Many modelers from all over the
nation will be here. Peer leaders for the second semester modeling workshop
include Larry Dukerich, Richard McNamara, Tim Burgess, and Michael Crofton.
Jerry Loomer, Stan Hutto, Kristen Guyser, Don Higdon, and Kelli Gamez
Warble are some Leadership Modeling Workshop teachers who are coming.
cheers,
Jane

PLEASE POST this in your department, and/or FORWARD to colleagues.

Recently David Hestenes (Arizona State University) was awarded funding by
the National Science Foundation for a program of summer graduate courses
for high school teachers of physics, physical science, and chemistry. See
the schedule below.

This is a wonderful opportunity! The National Science Foundation wants to
upgrade the expertise of high school teachers, especially underprepared
teachers, and they started a program last year to develop new courses to
accomplish this. We are funded in that program.

As an example, teachers who participate for 5 weeks (July 1 - Aug. 2) can
have up to $1250 stipend and FREE apartment housing*. Some free tuition.
Families are welcome.

We worked long and hard to get this grant, and we are thankful to have this
rare opportunity! The ASU Dept. of Physics & Astronomy faculty are fully
supportive.

Reply SOON to Jane.Jackson@asu.edu if interested.

Visit <http://modeling.asu.edu>. Click on "ASU's grad program ...".
-------------------------------

SUMMER 2002 SCHEDULE: (all courses are 3 semester hours)

The Modeling Workshops are:
PHS 534: Methods of Teaching Physical Science. June 3-21; 8-3:30 daily
PHS 530: Methods of Physics Teaching I. Modeling Workshop in mechanics.
June 24-July 12, 8-3:30 daily
PHS 531: Methods of Physics Teaching II. Modeling Workshop 2nd sem content.
July 12-Aug. 3, 8-2:25 daily. Leading modelers nationwide will be
here!

Modeling Instruction is the ONLY high school science program recognized as
EXEMPLARY by the U.S. Dept. of Education.

1st SUMMER SESSION:
(3 weeks: June 10-28. Classes meet daily M-F. Take 1 course)
PHS 505: Energy & Environment. 8:45-12:15
(Open to hs teachers of ALL sciences. No prereqs.)
PHS 550: Physics and Astronomy. 1:30-5 (For physics & earth sci teachers)

2nd SUMMER SESSION:
(5 weeks: July 1-Aug 2. Take up to 7 sem hours)
PHS 542/MTE 598: Integrated Math & Physics. 2:30-4:30 MTWTh. FULL!
PHS 560: Matter and Light**. 2:30-4:30 MTWTh.
PHS 564: Light and Electron Optics* 8-11AM MWTh.
PHS 581: Structure of Matter*. 9-11AM MTWTh.
PHS 598: Leadership Workshop (1 semester hour). 8-12 F.

* Prerequisite: 2 semesters of algebra-based college physics.
** Prerequisites: 2 semesters of algebra-based college physics,
and an introductory calculus course.

Jane Jackson, Co-Director, Modeling Instruction Program
Box 871504, Dept.of Physics & Astronomy,ASU,Tempe,AZ 85287
480-965-8438/fax:965-7331 <http://modeling.asu.edu>
Wisdom is applying knowledge to human needs.