Re: Is photon a wave packet ?

On Fri, 17 May 2002, Bob Sciamanda wrote:
Hardly abandoned. In the context of classical E&M the notion is
alive and well. In the context of QM the work survives in the form of the
"Feynmam propagator"
Also, as I understand it, the (under Wheeler) gives the wrong
flavor. It was Feynman's idea and Wheeler, newly arrived at Princeton,
went along for the ride.
Regards,
Jack

One's conceptual model might indeed attempt to adhere to a strict
"actio-in-distans" mechanism, whereby a cause might produce a distant
effect (perhaps with a time delay) without any thing travelling between
the two locations. Note that this is conceptual modeling, where one man's
weirdity might be another's loverly.

On the road to considering dissertation topics, Feynman (under Wheeler)
tried to construct an electrodynamics based solely on this
actio-in-distans mechanism. I don't have details, but they finally
abandoned the idea. I think (?) one of the difficulties appeared to be
that the advanced solutions to the wave equation had to be taken
seriously, with undesirable conceptual consequences. Perhaps someone
knows more - it is an interesting question.

--
"But as much as I love and respect you, I will beat you and I will kill
you, because that is what I must do. Tonight it is only you and me, fish.