Teachers and students

Hello--

I came across this lament of a teacher that I thought might be of
interest to the group.

"I am giving this winter two courses of lectures to three students, of
which one is only moderately prepared, the other less than moderately,
and the third lacks both preparation and ability. Such are the onera of
a mathematical teacher."

Karl Friedrich Gauss
Briefwechsel zwischen Gauss und Bessel
Letter to Bessel
January 7, 1810 (p. 107)

It seems as if some things are always going to be in a classroom.
--
Carl C. Gaither and Alma E. Cavazos-Gaither
angelfire.com/tx5/speakingseries

Authors of the Speaking Series
Statistically Speaking: A Dictionary of Quotations on Probability and
Statistics
Physically Speaking: A Dictionary of Quotations on Physics and Astronomy
Mathematically Speaking: A Dictionary of Quotations
Practically Speaking: A Dictionary of Quotations on Engineering and
Technology
Medically Speaking: A Dictionary of Quotations on Dentistry, Nursing and
Medicine
Scientifically Speaking: A Dictionary of Quotations
Naturally Speaking: A Dictionary of Quotations on Biology, Botany and
Zoology
Chemically Speaking: A Dictionary of Quotations
Astronomically Speaking: A Dictionary of Quotation on Astronomy and Physics*
*To be published in 2002