Re: Am I nuts? or reviewing for Students

On Mon, 13 May 2002 11:35:48 -0500 Tina Fanetti
<FanettT@QUEST.WITCC.CC.IA.US> writes:
Oh I told them 2 of the problems on their last test. They didn't
care enough to look them over.

Tina

Tina ....

Perhaps the best course of action at this point is to talk it over with
some of the other
professors at your college who have the same type of students. It would
be especially
helpful to ask: them:

1. How much consideration do they give to the final exam when making up
the students' final grades for the course?

2. What would they do if the majority of their students failed the final
exam as well as
most of the other exams during the course?

3. Under what conditions, if any, would they give a passing grade to a
student
who failed the final exam as well as almost all of the other exams during
the
course?

4. What would be the consequences that a professor might expect if most
of the
students in his or her class were given failing grades that the professor
feels are
justified?

You might very well find that the practical answers that they give are
not the
same as the ideal answers to such questions.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where very few professors are willing to give failing grades to an
entire class regardless of how poorly the students perform)