Re: reifying energy

On Thu, 9 May 2002, Brian Whatcott wrote:

If we wished to double the number of charge carriers employed,
we could use thicker wire, or a longer path and still maintain
much the same power consumption.

Yep. If we change the number of charge carriers involved, we are
changing the resistance of the circuit. Thicker wires, lower resistance.

If the geometry of the wires stays constant, then the usual way to
liberate more carriers is by bombarding the conductor with something from
outside. Selenium conductors with light shining upon them would be one
example.

If the number of carriers in a conductor was to change in proportion to
current, then the resistance of the material would change as well, and
that conductor would not obey Ohm's law.

billb@eskimo.com http://amasci.com
Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 sciclub-list freenrg-L vortex-L webhead-L