From: "Hugh Haskell" <hhaskell@MINDSPRING.COM>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Thursday, May 09, 2002 5:30 PM
Subject: Re: Science quotations

At 13:36 -0700 5/9/02, Gary Turner wrote:

Does anyone have the exact quote from Rutherford about science and stamp
collecting?

I have one on a coffee mug I got at an AAPT meeting a few years back
(hardly an authoritative source):

"In Science there is only physics--everything else is stamp collecting."

However, in Mackay's "Dictionary of Scientific Quotations" there is this
entry:

"Science is divided into two categories, physics and stamp collecting."

and the reference cited is J. D. Bernal "The Social Function of
Science," 1939. I don't know if Bernal is giving a direct quote, or
if he gives further reference to the original location.

Hope this helps,

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell