Re: Blackboard (remote)

I agree with Chris Horton. Tools like Blackboard should not
be used as a replacement of face-to-face activities, only as
means to supplement them. At least that has been the policy
at my university, so far.
Ludwik Kowalski

Jared Rastoka wrote:

a graduate class i was in used blackboard. it seemed like it was very
useful if you have time.

chrisahorton2@HOTMAIL.COM 05/09/02 01:33PM >>>
Has anyone used "Blackboard" for distance learning? Has anyone used it
for
creating a "virtual classroom"?

My general view on distance learning in physics is that I'm against it
. I
feel strongly that active engagement, hands on, peer instruction or
learning
community, learning cycle, model-building approaches are the way to go.
But
I am applying for work now at community colleges and this is not what
they
want to hear. They are almost all already committed to distance
learning
and they want people who can make it work. So I am in need of a
conversion
experience.

I am looking for tools for "synchronous distance learning", virtual
classrooms where students can communicate and share ideas. I think
that
this might work. (What? you have a community college job opening? Did
say "I think"? Wait! Hold on! I was just trying to sound
professional! I
believe! Honest! I *believe* this will work!)

Chat rooms are a good model, but the students will need also to be able
share with the class their drawings, equations (written by hand not
with an
equation editor), graphs and plots, both hand drawn and computer
generated,
and the like. Would Blackboard used over the internet do this? Could
each
student have a copy of it?

Chris Horton

Chris