Re: reifying energy

We can twist ourselves into complex knots trying to avoid reifying energy
and in the process confuse students even more than we now do. In
INTRODUCTORY physics courses, especially those that are the ONLY physics
course a student will take, reifying is NOT a bad way to go! We do buy
energy from the power company. We pay by the KILOWATT-HOUR. Sure you can
say its WORK as Jim wants, but then what's doing the work? Paul's vibrating
electrons? What's maintaining the vibrations?--more work?--done how, done
where? Yes we can trace it all, but how does all that make it easier for
students to follow?

Rick (Who is running out of my own reified energy grading final exams.)

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE PHYSICS INSTRUCTIONAL SOFTWARE
PC and MAC software
NEW! SIMLAB2001--AIR TABLE now available.
XP compatible upgrades and CD-ROM available