From: "Larry Smith" <larry.smith@SNOW.EDU>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 10:36 PM
Subject: reifying energy

Jim, Re: reifying energy,

What am I paying my utility company for? What do they give me in exchange
for my money? I'm not buying electrons (which are real?). Am I buying
energy (which is not real?)? If energy is a property of objects can I buy
the property without buying the object? Is this like a diaper service
where I'm buying not diapers but cleanliness?

Cheers,
Larry