Reading quizzes/assignments

I'm thinking of using some sort of reading quiz or reading assignment in my next intro algebra course to encourage my students to at least minimally read the text before coming to class--a set of questions that could be easily answered from a first read of the assigned section. (One implementation is described in Mazur's Peer Instruction.)

I would be interested in hearing from other members of the list who have used reading quizzes/assignments in their courses, particularly how it was administered and how it worked (results). Thanks in advance.

Scott Bonham
Dr. Scott Bonham voice: (270)745-6196
Department of Physics and Astronomy Scott.Bonham@wku.edu
Western Kentucky University http://www.physics.wku.edu/~bonham