Re: Time to retire?

Actually when I question them they know what a moving van is. I ask them if
they have ever seen a moving van. It is just that some of them can not
parse the question properly. The problem is a lack of using a common sense
interpretation. They are in physics mode and the word moving triggers the
idea that it is moving. I suspect that if they saw it in a nonphysics
context they would have no trouble with it. This probably relates to the
problems that Benezit uncovered in math teaching.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Of students being puzzled over the words "moving van," John Clement said
"Surely they have seen commercials for moving companies???"

Hmmm... has it come to that? That is, do we have to hope that
what we want
students to know has been depicted on TV often enough that they will have
seen it there?

Well... I knew about moving vans when I was 18, but not from seeing
commercials on TV. I saw them for real, because I played outdoors or
otherwise spent a fair amount of time outdoors and/or interacting with the
real world rather than the TV world.

I continue to be amazed how much common knowledge my generation
had compared
to today's students. Oh sure, some of this is selective memory and
nostalgia and all that. But I am worried about a population that
gains most
of its perception of the world from TV. I got to watch TV one hour per
night if my homework was done. But I didn't even watch it that
much; I only
watched if there was a particular show I wanted to see. Otherwise I had
other things I wanted to do. I entertained myself quite well all
by myself
and the world around me. Today many kids can't entertain
themselves. They
will complain there is nothing good on TV, but they'll sit there and watch
it anyway. I think it not only gives them a funny view of the world, it
also stifles their curiosity and exploration of the world.

Sorry... when we old timers hear people talking about students not knowing
stern of a ship or what a moving van is, we can get pretty cynical.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D. Phone/voice-mail:
419-358-3270
Professor of Chemistry & Physics FAX:
419-358-3323
Chairman, Science Department E-Mail