Re: Time to retire?

Having asked a quiz question that went: "What is the yearly,
per-capita cost of.....? " which required that they would have looked
at the hallway display that we've been working on, half of the class
answered with the total cost over 100 years--only a factor of 45
billion too high! 25% knew and 25% were clueless. But what about that
first 50%? If I give them credit for understanding the work 'yearly'
(not certain I should), then they clearly don't understand the term
'per-capita' or else their reading skills don't include worrying about
adjectives.

Jim Green is always on us to use the most precise, formal Physics
language, but how can we succeed at that when we can't even communicate
in the vernacular (whoops--in ENGLISH). All the students are English
speaking by the way! To twist a Beatles lyric--I've got to admit it's
harder, getting harder all the time.....

Well, Rick, a few years ago I got blasted for an exam question which was
a vector problem dealing with a sailboat and the wind direction. I asked
for the direction of the wind with respect to the stern of the boat. I was
taken to task by over 75% of the class because they claimed they weren't
sailors and didn't know the stern was the rear end of the boat. I'm not a
sailor either, but thought such a term was common knowledge. It never even
crossed my mind when writing the question that would be the difficult part.

Mike Monce