Re: Archives down?

I too asked why the Archive had gone ex communicado
in the last few weeks from my office location.
The network guru said that there is a requirement to archive mail
originated in house, so he had instituted a filter to stop addresses
containing keyword 'mail'.

People otherwise use mailers at Yahoo, Breathemail, Hotmail etcetera
he says, rather than the sanctioned in house service featuring a
product of the Evil Empire, which demands incessant checking for
viruses.
Moreover, in this small town, the sanctioned service uses the same
ISP on an internal fast link basis as many private users, so that
enterprising cognoscenti or incurable busybodies can
crack the personal mail of other ISP users - not a comforting factor.

Brian

At 02:02 PM 5/3/02, you wrote:

> You also can get *directly* to the Phys-L archives at
> <http://mailgate1.nau.edu/archives/phys-l.html>.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Larry

Beware that <http://mailgate1.nau.edu> is the name of
a server of lesser long-term planned longevity that the alias
<http://lists.nau.edu> which is a permanent address (actually
a long-term alias for all listserv activity at nau; right now it
re-routes to mailgate1i, the working archive server. NAU Info Tech
reserves the right to arbitrarily switch addresses other than lists.nau.edu
and it is unclear to me right now how things will stabilize.

I intend to change all of the PHYS-L hompage refs to the archive to the
address <http://lists.nau.edu>. You should always be able to find a working
address from the phys-l homepage at <http://purcell.phy.nau.edu/phys-l>

Dan M, struggling through the confusion...

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://purcell.phy.nau.edu PHYS-L list owner

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!