Re: grades, assessments, etc.

I know quite a number of slightly-eccentric people whom the
teachers labelled as "learning disabled" but who eventually
grew up to be very successful responsible citizens (and now
get paid about four times what those teachers are getting
paid).
But as a teacher I knew who these students were. They
may not have had good grades - basically because they
wouldn't follow the "rules." Still, when talking with them
during breaks or the lab - there was a "spark." I could
tell that they could do exact what is suggested. I think,
unfortunately, it has been my experience that many
more don't "succeed" in life and work at some low paying
job if they are working at all. But try to change the rules
for a single student and the rath of some administrator
would be upon me, because some other student's parent
found out that I was using differnet standards for other
students. To some extent I like IEP's (individual
educational plans). This allows me some flexibility with
those students (however keping them all straight is
difficult).

I still believe that GPAs are of verrry little value for

So do I, but try telling that to a parent of a student who is
close to graduating number one. I know I have had
students not take physics from me, because they were
afraid they might get an A- and ruin that precious GPA.
Many were steered away by their parents and I know
absolutely in two cases by an administrator in my own
building. No one has asked for my College GPA let alone
my high school GPA for a very long time.