Re: Sound Cancellation - Thanks!

Thanks to Bob Sciamanda and John Denker who resolved my very long standing
conundrum about ideal plane waves which cancel everywhere.

Bob Sciamanda wrote:

I think you pose an impossibility. Try to reduce it to practice, even
"gedankenly". How to manipulate two sources (or one split source) to
generate waves which cancel everywhere?

John Denker wrote (with great supporting details):

In this case we need to ask how you generated the waves.
There are various inequivalent possibilities, including:

1) Consider water waves...

2) Consider light waves with a beamsplitter...

Now I understand. If we could create them, my imagined perfectly canceling
waves would violate energy conservation, but there is no way to physically
achieve such a situation.

Thank you!

Don Polvani
Anne Arundel Community College