of the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard just up the coast (where nuke subs get
refits).

Scott

on 5/1/02 2:43 PM, Rick Tarara at rtarara@SAINTMARYS.EDU wrote:

My information was that it was for a large jet (after all the walls are
_thick_, reinforced concrete)--but George Spagna's reply answers the more
basic question--what's the real concern here.

Rick
----- Original Message -----
From: "Polvani, Donald G." <donald_g_polvani@MD.NORTHGRUM.COM>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 12:47 PM
Subject: Re: Electricity costs

Rick Tarara wrote:

I was under the impression (seems to me from a friend who was in the
industry) that containment buildings are designed to survive the impact
of
commercial jet. Anyone know for sure?

I don't "know for sure". However, I seem to recall that local papers and
TV
mentioned that nuclear power plants are designed to withstand the impact
of
a "small" airplane. A fully fueled, transcontinental jet, as used on
9/11,
would be cause for definite concern. The National Guard was taking no
chances.

Don Polvani
Anne Arundel Community College
Arnold, MD