Re: Homework (Was Measure of student understanding)

I forgot another example. Reformed pedagogy ala. PER has been found to be
much more effective in changing attitudes of health professionals about
medical advances. This data from a paper by Jim Minstrell points out that
health professionals generally are years behind the current advances in
treatment. Reading journals and attending sessions generally does not get
across the importance of many advances. Instruction in the style of PER
gets the point across much more clearly and allows important advances to be
used.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

So back to Jack's specific and my implied question: Is there any
predictive
power in the FCI/FCME or other such diagnostic tool with regards
to success
as professional scientists or engineers that would encourage us to move
forward toward a fully reformed curriculum for students in these fields?

Rick