Re: Excellent Advice for Tina and other rookies...

I recently received a thank-you card from a student. In it was two pages
of heart-felt thanks. The most interesting thing was that she withdrew
from my class late in the semester (because she would have likely received
a F) and then received a D when retaking the class the following
semester. The other interesting thing was that I received the card shortly
after seeing her on campus one day and just saying "Hello". Indeed, I
believe that students want to know more than anything that you
care. That's more important than being easy.

Thanks for the reminder, Michael.

AT

At 06:41 PM 5/1/2002 -0500, you wrote:

>On Wed, 1 May 2002, Michael Edmiston
>wrote:
>
> > It is difficult to analyze Tina's situation from a distance, but when she
> > says students think she is uncaring and mean, I can identify with that
> > problem many times over. I identify with it partly from personal
> experience
> > in my early days of teaching, and also from many years as department
chair
> > and dealing with students complaining to me about other faculty in the
> > department being uncaring and mean. The advice I give here is for all
> > teachers who might find themselves in similar situations.
> >
> > MAJOR POINT ---> I believe it doesn't matter how well you know the field,
> > how well you prepare the curriculum, how well you deliver lectures, how
> well
> > your labs integrate into the course, how well you write tests, etc...
none