Re: Advice for Tina and other rookies...

Not always true. I received some very valuable experience as a TA. I was
fortunate to have some profs who were lenient (or oblivious in one case)
enough to let me try different things. I also periodically sat in on
different classes to observe different teaching styles.
Granted, it was mostly my own initiative, but I always felt like I had much
more teaching support than research support. Kudos to the Physics Ed
faculty at Iowa State.

P.S. (responding to the first message on this thread) - I've heard of Mick
Arnett. One of my first evaluations was "We want Mick Arnett!!!"

You're correct that TA'ing is not even close to real life teaching. That's
a controversial statement, but it's true. TA's exist primarily as a
loophole in accreditation requirements.

Cheers,
Joe Heafner - Instructional Astronomy and Physics
CVAC Home Page <http://users.vnet.net/heafnerj/cvac.html>
My Book <http://www.willbell.com/new/fundephcomp.htm>
My Home Page <http://users.vnet.net/heafnerj/>