Re: induced emf again

Response to Ludwik's 1), below:
We are here concerned with two distinct phenomena typically used to
generate an emf:

a) If a conductor moves "through" a B field, the force qVxB drives charge
carriers ("the generator effect");
b) A B field which changes value in time is the source of an E field which
can drive (initially stationary) carriers (the "transformer effect").
This E field comes from Curl(E) = -dB/dt, and has closed, continuous field
lines with no beginnings or ends (Just as the B field generated by
currents in the isomorphic equation Curl(B) = mu*j ).

c) It happens that these two distinct effects result in an emf which, for
many circuits, can be calculated by the flux rule emf = - dPhi/dt.

Read Feynman Vol II 17-1 and 17-2. RPF points out that the flux rule is a
not completely reliable calculational tool and (when it does work) only
gives you the resulting emf, not the underlying physics. The
unmistakeable physics is in a) and b), along with F=q(E + VxB).
Response to Ludwik's 2), below:
The experiment is to cut a wire in two while sweeping it through a B
field. The two halves will be equally and oppositely charged. This has
been done (successfully). I can't now give a reference, though - stand by.

Bob Sciamanda (W3NLV)
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (em)
trebor@velocity.net
http://www.velocity.net/~trebor