Re: Writing Tests, Lectures and Dealing with Students

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven T. Ratliff" <STR@NWC.EDU>

One comment on something Tina said:
The test they just took, had a class average of 57%.
The short answer questions were all just regurgitation and THEY CAN"T
GET
THEM RIGHT!!!!

I think this is fairly common. I have low exam averages (60% or less) in
my classes, and I think many others do as well.

Regards,
Steven Ratliff

This can come with experience as well (both in how to write and how to grade
exams.) After 22 years of teaching the same level of course (rotating
through 3 different types of introductory courses--all we teach here) I can
hit a B- average for 80% of the tests and exams I write, and get the same
average for a semester's worth of quizzes. B- to low B average is my
_slide_ into grade inflation. ;-)

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE PHYSICS INSTRUCTIONAL SOFTWARE
PC and MAC software
NEW! SIMLAB2001--AIR TABLE now available.
XP compatible upgrades and CD-ROM available