Grade disparities among departments

Apologies if this repeats others observations, but the following
Viewpoint has just come to my attention:

"An A is an A is an A" by Valen Johnson
New York Times, Education Life Supplement, 14 April 2002, p. 14

Johnson is a statistician at Duke who reports on the distribution of
grades among departments there and draws conclusions many of us will be
interested to see the documented.

I have my own hypotheses as to the causes of grade inflation but
Johnson's report casts an additional perspective on the situation.
Highly recommended reading.

** John N. Cooper **
** Chemistry Department **
** Bucknell University **