Re: Writing Tests, Lectures and Dealing with Students

Of course it is partly you, you're a first year teacher. None of us come
out of school as fully polished teachers. One of the tricks of the trade, a
difficult one, is to try and regress yourself back to your student days.
[This is easier at your age than mine.] What worked for you in the
classroom, what didn't? What kind of questions would you have like to see
(not just easy) and what kind confused the hell out of you? What kind of
instructors commanded your respect (and attention) and which kind encouraged
you to sit in the back of the room and discuss yesterday's soap operas with
a friend. Try to work from that. I understand you were probably never a
tech-college student, but project! All that said, it is still a learning
process--for you. If you still feel the same way 3 or 4 years from now,
then by all means get out of the field. But if you work at it, become a bit
more thick-skinned (let some of the criticism just roll off--concentrate on
that which you can clearly recognize as legitimate), work through the
material a couple more times, refine your presentations and testings, maybe
even read some of the educational and Physics educational research papers to
see if you can incorporate some of this into your course, you may find that
things will improve quickly. Number one, be enthusiastic about your
subject. It is amazing how that can rub off on students.

Consider attending a summer AAPT meeting. Yes it will be at your expense,
but it might prove very worthwhile (and it will be deductible). If you are
still in Iowa next year the meeting will be in Madison Wisconsin. This year
it is in Boise, Idaho--worth the trip.

Rick