Re: induced emf again

Ludwik wrote:
It seems to imply
that the electric current in the rigid frame is
due to static charges residing at the ends of
the sliding rod. But we know that this is not
true; we know that electric field lines in the
closed loop have no beginning and no end.

The carriers in the rigid frame ARE driven by the electrostatic field of
the accumulated charges at surfaces, bends, etc. The emf force (QVxB)
acts only on the charges in the moving rod. The field lines begin and
terminate on these charges.

Suppose I remove the rigid frame over which
the rod was sliding. The same rod is moved in
a vacuum, still perpendiculary to the magnetic
field B. Are there going to be static charges of
opposite sign at the ends of the rod or not?

Yes

Bob Sciamanda (W3NLV)
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (em)
trebor@velocity.net