Re: Test Writing

Student griping over grading will always be a headache. However, as you
gain more experience, and come to understand the material better (this takes
time and several passes through the material), you will become more adept at
pointing to their specific errors. For example, the real/virtual image
answer is simply wrong. We CAN see virtual images--this is what a
magnifier, a telescope, a microscope actually produce. We actually seldom
see the real images, especially those produced by lenses, unless we form
then on a screen.

Don't argue with students about answers...especially in class. If their
questions relate to the understanding of the concept, then go over it. If
they really want to argue...have them do that in private. Use your
authority in the classroom to prevent the bickering. I make it clear that
when we go over a quiz (which I do immediately after collecting it), we can
discuss the answer in terms of understanding it, but will not argue over
their answers or whether it was a fair question or not. Of course I can
fall back on 'trust that after 20+ years of teaching this material, I have a
good reason for asking the question.' ;-)

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE PHYSICS INSTRUCTIONAL SOFTWARE
PC and MAC software
NEW! SIMLAB2001--AIR TABLE now available.
XP compatible upgrades and CD-ROM available