Re: Homework (Was Measure of student understanding)

This very thoughtful response says a lot.

I will admit that the reformed pedagogy often requires more time to cover
certain topics in depth. At the same time the EOC exams and high stakes
testing are forcing many teachers to do nothing but teach to the test. The
situation in the humanities is that often all they teach is test review and
the students never read real books.

Not all teachers are subject to such tests. Private school teachers are
spared this, and often since physics is a senior elective the course may not
have such a test.

You mentioned 3,4,5 sections but some of us have 6 sections.

The mention of the laboratory did not quite hit the mark. The lab is used
to present the students with an unambiguous descrepent event. Research by
Renner showed that the concrete operational learners benefit greatly from
the lab, but not from book reading. Remember these are probably not future
Nobel Laureates in physics. A number of studies have showed the benefits of
MBL based labs over equivalent paper and pencil tasks. In actuality the
best reformed lab is integrated with other activities. The main reason that
labs have often been heavily emphasized is that is the area where it has
been easiest to make changes that improve learning.

I think we all agree that a good coherent course is better than a scattergun
one, and that there is no magic bullet. Indeed the various researchers who
put together the reformed curricula spent a large amount of time changing,
evaluating, rechanging and so on. They bought gains sometimes in jumps of
various sizes.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX