Re: Why does electrostatic attraction in water decrease?

Pentcho Valev wrote:

I cannot do the experiment, for many reasons.

Really? What reasons? How hard did you try?

However there is another instructive
thought experiment
A) The net work gained in steps 1 and 3 is done at the expense of heat absorbed from
the surroundings. If so, the second law is of course violated.

I see no reason to believe this would happen.

B) The net work gained in steps 1 and 3 is done at the expense of WORK THE OPERATOR
SPENDS IN STEPS 2 and 4. This saves the second law, but is somewhat
counterintuitive.

It seems perfectly intuitive to me.

Roughly speaking, this means that in step 4, as the operator lifts
the capacitor, the capacitor is MUCH HEAVIER than in step 2 when the operator lets
it down.

Not "MUCH" heavier, just heavier enough.

Elementary electrostatics predicts exactly this.
You can do the calculation on a 2-inch square piece of
paper; why not do it yourself?

Hint: Do the analysis and constant charge Q rather than
constant voltage V, so you don't need to worry about work
done by whatever is holding V fixed. The electrostatic
energy is a potential, and is a function of two variables:
the gap g and the area A. The force is the gradient of
this potential. There's nothing surprising and nothing
tricky about it.