Re: The blueness of water

Apropos -- of intrinsic color by absorption.

Look through a sheet of glass through the longest dimension.

bc

Larry Woolf wrote:

At 12:13 AM -0700 4/28/2002, William Beaty wrote:
Heh. What's your evidence that the mineral impurities in ocean water are
colorless? The water is full of dissolved salts. Just to clarify, we're
arguing whether their color effects as viewed through a few meters of
ocean water is significantly smaller or larger than the color effects
caused by the water itself.

Since water - fresh or salt - generally appears colorless for shallow
depths, blue-green for a couple of meters depth, and blue for more than a
few meters, I would argue that dissolved salts are not a major effect. The
salts most likely lead to increased scattering of incident light, which
would affect the path length of light in water before it enters your eye.
Certainly if there is a high concentration of colored matter or

cut