Re: The blueness of water

I do indeed. the altonyms Beer's, Beer-Lambert and Beer-Lambert-Bouguer
each seem to have their adherents.

Brian W

At 01:49 PM 4/28/02, Bernard wrote:
Perhaps you refer to Pierre Bouguer?

(who also first calibrated astronomical luminosities using the differential
sensitivity of the eye and the inverse square law.)

bc

Brian Whatcott wrote:

> At 02:13 AM 4/28/02, Bill wrote:
>
> > > *** If there were underwater floodlights, then the path length of light
> > > passing through water and then entering your eye is certainly less
than the
> > > depth of the pool.
> >
> >Ooo, good point. I never noticed the halved path length caused by
> >underwater lighting. I think the light is still decreasing linearly at
> >those depths, so an internally-illuminated pool 10 meters deep would look
> >approximately as blue as a top-illuminated pool 5 meters deep.

> >William J. Beaty SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
> >billb@eskimo.com http://amasci.com
> >EE/programmer/sci-exhibits science projects, tesla, weird science
> >Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 sciclub-list freenrg-L vortex-L webhead-L
>
> My attention monitor tripped on this linear suggestion. I assume
> by contrast, an exponential decrease of light in an ordinary absorber.
>
> Who will recall the relevant facts for me, please?
>
> Brian Whatcott
> Altus OK Eureka!

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!