From: Chuck Britton [mailto:britton@NCSSM.EDU]
Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 8:47 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: Help: rear view mirror optics (fwd)

It is definitely a WEDGE of glass. Touch a pencil tip to the surface
to gauge the thickness.

BUT - I can use the night-time dimming feature EITHER by sending the
bright image ABOVE OR BELOW my eyes.

My wife is a good bit shorter than I, and the mirror occasionally
gets 'readjusted'. Once when I 'flipped' to nighttime dim, I noticed
that the brights were diverted DOWNWARDS instead of UPWARDS. I THINK
that this is evidence for the multiple reflection theory (but does
not negate the front surface effect at all. They BOTH seem to be
operating)

Check it OUT!