Re: ratemeter and scaler

A scaler just counts events. A ratemeter specifically determines how many
events occur in a particular interval of time. That means a scaler operated
for a specific time interval essentially becomes a ratemeter.

But a scaler does not have to be run for a specific time interval; it can
run for a specific number of events. If we want to give a sample a
particular dose of x-rays we might have a scaler counting the number of
x-rays passing through the target, and we end the exposure after the scaler
has reached a certain count rather than stopping the exposure at a certain
elapsed time.

Also, today scalers are inherently digital and ratemeters can be either
analog or digital.

Bluffton College
280 West College Avenue
Bluffton, OH 45817