Re: Proof for atoms?

At 12:31 2002/04/17, Joseph Bellina wrote:
The stm images are tough as I suggested because they are really electron
density maps, so you can argue from them to a non-uniformity in space,
but perhaps not to the notion of distinct objects...like atoms. On the
other hand, for the student that might be enough.

The non-uniformity-of-space argument is made more complex, although
probably not fully refuted, by the ability of the STM to use the scanning
needle tip to move the "spatial non-uniformities" from place to place.
You've probably seen the famous photo of a sub-microscopic version of the
IBM corporate logo spelled out using (as I recall) xenon
"non-uniformities". I hypothesize that non-uniformities tied to the innate
structure of space itself would not be quite so amenable to arbitrary
positional manipulation by mere humans.