transformer demonstration

I need some help in debugging a classroom demo illustrating a transformer. I don't have an actual transformer, I am attempting to use two coaxial solenoids.

First I connected a (200 turn, approx.) solenoid (about 10 cm. long) to 6.3 V AC. I nested a second (approx. 100 turn) solenoid of the same length inside the first. Across this solenoid I connected a light bulb. I don't know the specs on the light bulb; it is actually a light box used in optics experiments. It works just fine when connected individually to the 6.3 V AC supply. When the power suppply is turned on nothing happens except that after a few seconds the circuit breaker in the power supply trips.

Next I added a second light box in series with the primary solenoid to prevent the current from becoming too high.

What I want to do is to light the light bulb in the secondary by an induced voltage from the primary. I must be overlooking/ignorant of something important here.

Any suggestions?

Justin Parke