Re: standing waves

Savinainen Antti wrote:
I have undestood that standing waves
(fundamental and higher harmonics) are produces on any object that is set onto
vibration.

Certainly "can be" produced. The extent to which they "are" produced
depends on the excitation.

Then I read from a high school physics book that a tuning fork would
have only one frequency and no higher harmonics at all.

Hogwash.

Well, I checked one tuning fork using a microscope and oscilloscope. The signal
was quite sinusoidal but it was altered significantly. To me it looked like an
interference between the fundamental frequency and harmonics. Performing a
Fourier analysis could separate the signal into components but I do not have
that possibility at school.

Really no possibility?
All you need is a computer with a sound card.

Free software to do the FFT (and hundreds of other good things)
is available from http://www-rocq.inria.fr/scilab/

And for that matter, you don't need technology at all.
You can HEAR the harmonics. Flick your fingernail against
the tuning fork. You will hear a bell-like high-pitched
clink. The higher modes die out more quickly than the
fundamental, so they don't significantly impede the normal
use of the fork.