Re: School Success In Strange Places

At 9:20 -0500 4/14/02, Rick Tarara wrote:

The 9 to 1 student to teacher ratio is probably important here. IEPs
(Individual Educational Programs) have been a part of 'special education'
for quite some time. They are very labor/time intensive _just_ to prepare
and get approved, and seem to work best when the teacher who is the primary
preparer of the plan is also the implementer. Once the IEP must be followed
by several teachers, the process tends to fall apart.

While there are many good ideas here, I'm going to guess that such a program
simply won't scale up effectively.

I agree, Rick. I posted almost the same response to another list I'm
on in which this article was posted. While I'm delighted that this
small, spread-out school district seems to have made great strides,
and especially that they seem to have managed to reduce their
administrative overhead substantially, I think David Broder could
have brought a much more skeptical outlook to this story than he did.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto://haskell@ncssm.edu>