Re: Using CD's in Physics demos/activities

On 4/9/02 10:20 AM, Fakhruddin, Hasanbhai wrote:

It used be 3 1/2 in floppies now it is CD's. We have plenty of them lying
around thanks to AOL and other sources. They look neat. What kind of uses
have Phys-lers found for these CD's?

Along the lines of using them as a diffraction grating, there was a nice
activity in J. Chem. Ed. for turning them into spectroscopes. You could
collect at least a class set per year (based on my experience with AOL
mailings and let the kids keep them when they're done.

(J. Chem. Ed. Vol. 75 No. 12 p. 1569, "CD-ROM Spectroscope: A Simple and
Inexpensive Tool for Classroom Demonstrations on Chemical Spectroscopy")

Mike

--
Michael Porter
Colonel By Secondary School