Re: Newton's Second Law of Motion

My pet theory goes on to suggest that Newton's own enhanced
comfort level with the integrated form of the second law which
deals only with changES in velocity rather than changING velocity
probably extends to our students as well who would be far better
served by an introduction to mechanics which completely avoids the
use of the word acceleration until the connection of impulse to
change in momentum is more fully grasped.

John
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajm@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223

That's a very interesting thought. John have you ever tried to teach intro
physics with a momentum first, and its connection to impulse?

And only later, perhaps much later doing the usual acceleration kinematics
and the F=ma connection.

Joel Rauber