Re: Newton's Second Law of Motion

Abul Kalam wrote:

Introductory textbooks have routinely stated Newton's Second Law as: a =
Sigma(F)/m, or Sigma(F) = ma.

That's odd.

Normally people start with plain old
F = m a. [1]

Writing it as, say
Sigma(F) = m a [2]
introduces extra complexity with disproportionately-small
improvement in correctness, accuracy, or generality.

Quite independent of Newton's laws, we know that we can
add forces and represent the sum by a single "resultant"
force. So we could equally well write
F_total = m a
but if we're going to be so fussy about the LHS we ought
to pay a comparable amount of attention to the RHS,
perhaps something like
F_total = m_total a_center-of-mass

But normally we just write
F = m a
and explain elsewhere what the symbols mean.

This is a special case and is true only when the
mass is constant.

OK.

There should also be an equal emphasis on the fact
that it is possible to generate a force at a constant velocity when the
mass changes as well, such as in rocket motion or in water jetting out
of a hose.

Those aren't really counterexamples to the F=ma law.
F=ma is valid moment-by-moment even for a rocket where
the mass (in a certain region) is changing.

And by the way, the recommended procedure (especially in
introductory courses) is not to worry about regions but
rather to keep track of individual particles. A complex
object (such as a rocket) can be decomposed into particles
and the F=ma law applies to each particle separately (as
well as applying in the overall center-of-mass sense
mentioned above).

If you want a counterexample to F=ma, look to relativity.

Even Newton does not state his Second Law the same way,
instead indicating that force is proportional to the rate of change in
momentum. I think that should be the more general and the correct way to
state the second law.

You can't go wrong with that. The flow of momentum is
sometimes easier to visualize than the corresponding
forces.

And F=dp/dt remains valid in relativistic situations.

In any non-relativistic situation, F=dp/dt is
formally equivalent to F=ma, so you can't think of
it as a "solution" to the alleged "problem" above.
But since I don't think the alleged problem is a
real problem, no solution is required.

If you still think there is a problem with F=ma
in situations such as (non-relativistic) rocketry,
please ask a more specific question.