Re: electromagnetism

Paul,
I cast around for a usable formula for determining the data for
part b): flux and flux density, each limb.

McGraw-Hill Enc Sci & Technology shows this American
customary style equation in the article "Transformer":

E = f BAN /22500

for
f frequency Hz,
B PEAK flux density in klines/in^2,
A core cross section in in^2,
E rms volts,
N number of turns

You will be accustomed to a rational presentation in SI units, I expect,
but using the equivalent representation, you can see that
knowing f , A, N then you can quickly state B which was required

Considering question c) shows up a weakness of this approach I took
to question b): there is no explicit consideration of the path reluctance,
so increasing the reluctance by a series element of cross section
160 mm^2, length 0.1 mm, relative permeability =1
does not give a sense of the reduction in flux which it causes.
I could always punt - by reworking the reluctance from the figure you
worked, and deducing the reduced flux this way.

However, I suspect you have a more analytical equation to compute
flux or flux density for part b) which would give a more assured
result for c) I imagine that the primary self inductance of the primary,
asked for in part a) is relevant - but we have not presently used it.

If you can suggest this better way, I would be glad to hear of it.

Sincerely

Brian Whatcott

[Paul Giusti wrote:]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A transformer is constructed from E- and I-shaped cores with coils wound
around the center limb. the middle part of the core has length 25mm and
cross-sectional area 160mm^2, with a mean flux path length of 50mm on each
side.

The relative permeability of the core is 1200. the primary coil has 400
turns, while the secondary has 100 turns.

a) calculate the total reluctance, and the self-inductance of the primary.

b) if 240 V is applied to the primary and a load of 50ohms is connected
across the secondary, determine the flux and flux density in each limb of
the transformer.

c) determine the percentage drop in the flux through the centre limb if a
manufacturing fault leaves a 0.1mm gap between it and the I plate.