Take a Modeling Workshop this summer

Modeling Workshops for high school and jr. high teachers of PHYSICS,
PHYSICAL SCIENCE, AND CHEMISTRY will be held this summer in Arizona,
California, Hawaii, Kansas, Missouri, Wisconsin, Arkansas, Florida, North
Carolina, & Pennsylvania.

Why should you take a Modeling Workshop?
Because:
* Your students will be motivated.
* They will learn more.
* They will thank you for teaching them to think.
* You will find it satisfying and fulfilling.
* You'll become a valuable resource for your school on teaching with
technology.
* If you're weak in physics, your content knowledge will improve greatly.

Read what previous participants said last year:

Ed Benko, Pittsburgh
The Modeling techniques have essentially become my primary method of
teaching both General Physics (regular/conceptual) and Chemistry.

Janice Hudson, Columbus GA
I have a student intern from Auburn University this semester. He was very
excited to see modeling practiced. He had read an article about it but
never seen it demonstrated. He is becoming quite proficient at it. When
his supervising professor from the university saw him in action, he could
not believe the discourse that was taking place in the classroom and how
the students were coming up with the answers rather than the teacher. I am
so glad I learned to teach like this.

Joe Spaccavento, New Jersey
I have taken many college physics courses, many education courses, attended
numerous summer institutes, many were NSF funded, attended many other
conferences. The Modeling Workshop experience was unique in that the main
focus was not about the physics content, but rather it centered on how
youngsters learn physics, and how the instructor can create the optimum
environment for this learning to manifest itself. The Modeling experience
taught me a little physics, a little technology, but a great deal about how
to teach physics more effectively.

Stan Hutto, San Antonio, TX
The numbers in Pre-AP doubled from 46 to 98 this year - I contribute it
primarily to use of Modeling methodology. This is the largest number of
Pre-AP and AP in the history of the school. Modeling Methodology is
integral to my style in Pre-AP. I use the method to a lesser degree in AP
due to time/topic constraints, and also because the course is dual-credit
with a local college I must meet certain lab requirements which put a
further strain on the discourse time. I still insist on the students' use
of "models" in explanations and lab write-ups and reference to what was
"covered" or "un-covered" in Pre-AP.The same amount of methodology is used;
I think I do a more concentrated effort on emphasis of the MODEL.
Suffice it to say that the modeling methodology has made a
significant impact on my teaching style and on the learning of the
students.
--------------------
Modeling Workshops range in duration from 1-week (usually focusing on
kinematics) to 4-week workshops that thoroughly treat the pedagogy and
content for the mechanics portion of a physics course. Content is
reorganized around basic models to increase its structural coherence.
Participants are supplied with a complete set of course materials and work
through activities alternately in the roles of student or teacher.

Visit <http://modeling.asu.edu> for information and contacts.

Jane Jackson, Co-Director, Modeling Instruction Program
Box 871504, Dept.of Physics & Astronomy,ASU,Tempe,AZ 85287
480-965-8438/fax:965-7331 <http://modeling.asu.edu>
The more receptive you are, the more you can receive.