Explaining Lenz's Law

My calc based physics class is covering Lenz's law.
They get that the law is about the inducing a current which causes an opposite induced magnetic field.

They want to use the right hand rule to figure out the direction of this induced current. One book uses your fingers, another book uses the thumb for current. One book throws an area vector in the direction of your thumb.

For a loop of current how do you know which way the palm of your hand faces...

They are confused and they got me confused...

Help?
Tina

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429