Re: wire tension

From: "Ludwik Kowalski"
Carl described alternative methods of solving this problem:

A circular loop of flexible wire is placed in a uniform
magnetic field perpendicular to its plane. The radius of
the loop is R and its current is I. What is the tension?

This was very useful to me. Thanks. I like this little
problem because at first it is nearly a paradox. Not a single
radial force has a tangential component but the tangential
force, I*B*R, is not zero in the loop.

Isn't this another version of the standard intro mechanics problem:
Push sideways on a rope stretched taught between two trees; calcuate the
resulting tension.
The rope's tensile properties convert the sidewise forces into tangential
stresses.
A three dim version would be a balloon being pumped up.

Bob Sciamanda (W3NLV)
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (em)
trebor@velocity.net
http://www.velocity.net/~trebor