Re: Urban Fables: Stellar by Sunlight

At 08:53 AM 3/27/02, Gary Turner wrote in an aside:

Incidentally, I have been told that squinting helps seeing because it
restricts the entering light - causing the pupils to dilate and improving
the available resolution. Is there any truth to this?

I have needed reading glasses for several years - this is a deficit of ageing.
When caught without specs, and needing to decode text in small font
I can make do by squinting through closed fingers.
I know that increased aperture in my eyes is associated with decreased
resolution, in common with the dearest Nikon and the cheapest
Kodak throwaway. But I also know that pinhole cameras are in focus at any
focal length within reason, and so I rationalize that an effect of this kind
is in play.

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!