Re: mag field of infinite wire

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl E. Mungan [mailto:mungan@USNA.EDU]
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 2:21 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: mag field of infinite wire

When I first use Gauss' law to derive the E field outside an infinite
uniformly charged rod, I like to take a few minutes to go through
some symmetry arguments to show that E can only point in the radial
direction and can only vary in magnitude with the radial coordinate.

I would like to do the analogous thing for Ampere's law to derive the
B field outside an infinite straight wire carrying a current.

<snip>

You may use Maxwell's equations in their integral or differential
form and you may use symmetry arguments. You may not use Biot-Savart
law nor appeal to experiment.

Is there a solution? Carl

Carl,

When you use Gauss' law for the "cylindrically" distribution to argue its
radial nature, do you avoid any use of knowledge of the direction of E field
from point charges (Coulomb expression for E field)?

I know when I spend the few minutes to go through the symmetry arguement,
I'm looking at pairs of charge elements (line charge pairs on either side of
a perpendicular line extending from the field point through the symmetry
axis;and note that if you choose the pairs symmetrically their non-radial
components of E field cancel.

I consider this using the coulomb expression for E field (its direction in
particular and the fact that magnitude is proportional to charge density and
inverse distance square) in addition to Gauss' Law and symmetry.

I suspect that you may have to use the Biot-Sarvart Law to the same extent
(to obtain some minimal directional information).

Nice arguement for the radial component, I've always used the Biot-Sarvart
law to rule out that component as well. My Ampere's Law lecture in a couple
of weeks will change!

Joel R