Re: A Question on cosmic background radiation

In a message dated 3/27/02 11:43:04 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jsd@MONMOUTH.COM writes:

<< The parameter "a" has to do with the local geometry of the universe.
It tells us nothing about the topology, and certainly nothing
about the boundary conditions. See e.g. section "D" of box
27.2 on page 725 of Misner, Thorne, Wheeler for an explicit
warning and illustrative example.>>>

John Thanks for your response. As luck would have it, this important book is
part of my private library. This reference should be helpful.

If you want to see a third flaw in the reasoning, try this:
Just what is it that is accelerating?
-- The background-radiation photons are on lightlike trajectories,
and always have been, so you're going to have a hard time accelerating
or decelerating them.
-- Unruh's argument, as I understand it, involves acceleration
of a black-body source. Now the source of the cosmic background
radiation ceased to exist many billions of years ago, so I fail
to see how any expansion or exacerbation at the present time could
have any relevance thereto. >>

Not to disagree but just to answer your question, what is accelerating is the
scale factor of those astronomical structures not sufficiently
gravitationally bound. If this is the case, then event boundaries are being
created as da/dt increases. If Hawking and Unruh are correct then I thought
that these event horizons created would blue shift the CMB spectrum or more
accurately generate an increased cosmic temperature since the CMB is
primarily the signature of the so called creation event. However given your
much greater understanding of this, I have little doubt you are correct and I
am confused. I will check out the reference you cite in the hope of reducing
my confusion. Thank you very much for your response.

Bob Zannelli