Re: FW: mag field of infinite wire

With the assumption that we have an infinite wire, can we not easily state
that we are at the center of the length of wire? Once that's made, we also
lose the longitudinal dependence due to symmetry. That would leave us with
the azimuthal dependence we want...

I'm not asking about the longitudinal dependence. Since the wire is
infinite, that is indeed ruled out.

I am asking about the longitudinal *component*. In full detail:

B = B_r (r,z,phi) + B_z (r,z,phi) + B_phi (r,z,phi)

Three vector *components* each with three *spatial dependences*.

I can boil it down by my previous arguments to:

B = B_z (r) + B_p (r)

I am seeking to kill off B_z. Carl
--
Carl E. Mungan, Asst. Prof. of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
U.S. Naval Academy, Stop 9C, Annapolis, MD 21402-5026