Re: Urban Fables: Stellar by Sunlight

When I was first invited to see Venus in broad daylight I was extremely
skeptical. After all, "everyone knows" that you can only see the stars
(and planets) at night. But "seeing is believing", and after a
colleague showed me exactly where to look, I saw it right away.

Seeing Jupiter in daylight is harder. Not only did I have to know
exactly where to look, but also had to start to slightly unfocus my gaze
before the tiny speck of light caught my eye. After seeing it I could
then focus on it and see it clearly, but a glance away would make me
lose it again.

Saturday night I took my 8-yr-old son outside and showed him Jupiter,
Saturn and Mars. It's a whole bunch easier after dark!

Ken Caviness
Physics, SAU

Brian Whatcott wrote:

I was amused to hear on NPR this morning that a denizen of a canyon retreat
reported he could see Venus at noon, from his deep canyon vantage.

Did this call to mind the "You can see stars from a deep shaft" urban
fable? Not so fabulous, it seems, if (and only if) you know where to look
for Venus by daylight.

So the debunking of daytime planetary sights is the urban fable after all.
This would have just been amusing, until I realised that there have been
many many people with telescopes capable of pointing at the brightest point
object in the sky by daylight for many years - but I never heard of a
confirmation before....
(You apparently don't need a telescope to see the effect, but you do need
to know where to look.)

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!