Re: EMF

----- Original Message -----
From: "John S. Denker" <jsd@MONMOUTH.COM>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2002 2:00 AM
Subject: Re: EMF

What's wrong with "voltage"?
That's what I've always used.

Sometimes people apply the term EMF to a particular
type of voltage, to distinguish it from other
voltages in the problem...
If there are other cases remaining unsolved, please
elaborate.

I think that "voltage" refers to the potential difference between two points.
If you consider a symmetric ring in a uniform B field changing with time, you
have an induced EMF on the ring. Where are the two points between which there
is a voltage? In this case, so I understand it, you must speak of EMF and you
cannot speak of voltage. I can well be wrong, I fought a lot with this very
issue, so if you find a mistake in my argument, please explain it to me.

Paolo Cavallo