update: MODELING WORKSHOPS NATIONWIDE IN SUMMER 2002

[Will you kindly forward this to colleagues in high schools? - Jane Jackson]

MODELING WORKSHOPS NATIONWIDE IN SUMMER 2002.
(updated March 20, 2002 by Jane Jackson <jane.jackson@asu.edu>)

Modeling Workshops for high school and jr. high teachers will be held this
summer in Arizona, California, Hawaii, Kansas, Missouri, Wisconsin,
Arkansas, Florida, North Carolina, & Pennsylvania (and pending funding, in
South Dakota).

Workshops range in duration from 1-week (usually focusing on kinematics) to
4-week workshops that thoroughly treat the pedagogy and content for the
mechanics portion of a physics course. Content is reorganized around basic
models to increase its structural coherence. Participants are supplied with
a complete set of course materials and work through activities alternately
in the roles of student or teacher.

TEACHERS SAY:
Jane Nelson, Orlando FL:
"In thirty years of teaching, nothing has impacted my teaching, since my
first days of learning how to teach science in undergraduate school, like
the ideas I've learned in modeling. It is the BEST idea to enter the
teaching methods I have ever seen."

Tom Todd, suburb of Chicago:
"Modeling has permanently changed my methodology. I have taken modeling as
learned in the physics content area and employed it in other classes
(astronomy, geology, physical science). It has forced me to "clean house",
reduced content volume in these other courses and triggered a restructuring
of lab/worksheet material to fit modeling. Student response to these
changes have been overwhelmingly POSITIVE."

For detailed information, visit <http://modeling.asu.edu>.

Although most workshops are funded, teachers are encouraged to ask their
principal for supplemental Title II funding. A Modeling Workshop can be an
excellent investment for your school because you can become a valuable
resource for teaching science effectively with technology!

For new teachers, a Modeling Workshop is excellent content remediation.

******************************
ARIZONA STATE UNIVERSITY in Tempe (near Phoenix):
June 24 - July 12. Content: entire semester of mechanics.
July 15 - Aug. 2: second semester content.
Prerequisite: 3 week modeling workshop in mechanics.
Contact <Jane.Jackson@asu.edu>, 480-965-8438
<http://modeling.asu.edu/MNS/MNS.html>
*****************************
UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN - Oshkosh. FULL!
June 10 - 28
For 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th grade teachers of physical sciences.
Content: structure of matter, mechanics, electric circuits
********************
UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL FLORIDA - Orlando
Two Pasco-organized workshops, preferably taken in sequence:
June 10 - 14: kinematics
June 17 - 21: dynamics
For high school teachers of physics and physical science.
For information: <http://www2.pasco.com/training/pages/smmrinstit.html> or
<training@pasco.com> or 1-800-772-8700 (ask for prof dev dept.)
***********************
NORTH CAROLINA.
"Extended Physics Community: Modeling and Web-based Professional
Development Program" - funded by National Science Foundation.
For high school teachers of physics, physical science,
and principles of technology.

June 11 - 15, 18 - 22, 25 - 28: CARTERET COMMUNITY COLLEGE, Morehead City
Content: underpinnings (foundations of physical science) & mechanics
June 11 - 28: UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA - GREENSBORO
Content: underpinnings (foundations of physical science) & mechanics.
July 8 - 25: APPALACHIAN STATE UNIVERSITY, Boone
Content: underpinnings (foundations of physical science) & mechanics.
June 13-July 3: APPALACHIAN STATE UNIVERSITY, Boone
Content: second semester physics.
Prerequisite: 3 week modeling workshop in mechanics.
July 8 - 25: UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA - GREENSBORO
Content: second semester physics.
Prerequisite: 3 week modeling workshop in mechanics.

Contact Nancy Murray, Workshop Coordinator
nmmurray@curie.uncg.edu, (336) 377-9864 or (336) 334-4217
Application is at <http://epc.uncg.edu/wkspinfo.html>
****************************
ARKANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY
July 8 - 26
Content: entire semester of mechanics.
Contact Andrew Sustich, Assoc. Dean, College of Arts & Sciences
sustich@astate.edu. 870-972-3079
*************************
EMPORIA STATE UNIVERSITY in Emporia, Kansas
July 8 - 12
Content: kinematics
Contact: Jim Johnson <johnsoja@emporia.edu>
**************************
UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII at Manoa, Honolulu HI
July 15 - 20
NSCI 505, Physics Workshop for Teachers:
Modeling workshop for High School Teachers
NSCI 502, Chemistry Workshop for Teachers:
Chemistry modeling for High School Teachers
Contact: Biology Program Office, UH at Manoa
phone: 808-956-8303
email: biology3@hawaii.edu
*********************************
WIDENER UNIVERSITY, near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Two Pasco-organized workshops, preferably taken in sequence:
July 15 - 19: kinematics
July 22 - 26: dynamics
For information: <http://www2.pasco.com/training/pages/smmrinstit.html> or
<training@pasco.com> or 1-800-772-8700 (ask for prof dev dept.)
********************************
UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI at St. Louis
July 15 - 31
Content: Entire semester of mechanics.
Contact Prof. Hal Harris <hharris@umsl.edu>, Dept. of Chemistry
*****************
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY - SACRAMENTO
Two Pasco-organized workshops, preferably taken in sequence:
August 5 - 9: kinematics
August 12 - 16: dynamics
For information: <http://www2.pasco.com/training/pages/smmrinstit.html> or
<training@pasco.com> or 1-800-772-8700 (ask for prof dev dept.)
******************************
pending funding:
BLACK HILLS STATE UNIVERSITY in Spearfish, So. Dakota
Dates to be determined in March
Content: 2 weeks of mechanics & 2 weeks of CASTLE electricity
Contact Rena Faye Norby <RenaFayeNorby@BHSU.EDU>

Jane Jackson, Co-Director, Modeling Instruction Program
Box 871504, Dept.of Physics & Astronomy,ASU,Tempe,AZ 85287
480-965-8438/fax:965-7331 <http://modeling.asu.edu>
"The ideals which have lighted my way, and time after
time have given me new courage to face life cheerfully,
have been Kindness, Beauty, and Truth." - Einstein (1931)